I had every intention of posting my Thanksgiving menu at least a day or two before, but, alas, meal prep and some unforeseen family events overshadowed the last couple of days and got the better of me. I’m pretty organized and had a manageable to-do list. But… my brother-in-law had a sore throat and stayed home and our nephew and his family, who usually split TG with our family and his wife’s, ended up visiting with her family in town for the holiday. And then there was the Nor’easter, and it snowed and snowed on Wednesday and luckily, we were left with a scant 3 or 4 inches of snow. Despite it all, I forged ahead and continued with the original menu. For the six of us who remained, we feasted!
Here’s what we ate:
– butternut squash soup
– roasted turkey (dry-brined with salt, lemon zest, and oregano)
– braised beef brisket in red wine sauce with carrots, onions, celery and mushrooms
– roasted cod
– cranberry, plum and ginger chutney
– sweet potato torte (yep, same as last year)
– cornbread stuffing with leeks and sage
– mashed Yukon Gold potatoes and parsnips
– Brussels sprouts with lemon and parsley dressing
– green bean casserole (old school with the terribly high-calorie fried onion rings)
On the bright side, we did have some surprise guests for dessert. Our other nephew and his fiancé drove up from Delaware and our oldest son’s girlfriend also joined us. Thankfully, we saved some room for spiced pumpkin bundt cake with buttermilk icing, flourless chocolate cake, and coffee cake with crumb topping and glaze.
Among the favorites were the turkey (from a new source, a local farm) and accompanying citrus gravy, the cranberry-plum-ginger chutney, the mashies-parsnips duo – voted a must-have next year- and the torte. We nixed the green beans after all these years and will give the squash soup a rest next year.
I hope all of you enjoyed the holiday, with or without the snow, with family and friends.
Tagged: brisket, brussels sprouts, butternut squash soup, chutney, cod, cornbread stuffing, cranberry, flourless chocolate cake, ginger, green beans, mashed potatoes, parsnips, plums, spiced pumpkin bundt cake, sweet potato torte, Thanksgiving, turkey